Zhi: reaching Yang: Yang of yin-yang
Zhiyang is on a level with the diaphragm. The Qi of the meridian passes on Zhiyang and ascends i.e. it reaches to ” Yang within Yang” above the diaphragm from “yin within Yang ” below the diaphragm.
English name/ meaning: Reaching Yang
Chinese name: 至阳
Chinese pinyin : Zhiyang
Korean name: Chiyang
Japanese name: Shiyo
Vietnamese name: Chidurong
On the posterior midline, in the depression below the spinous process of the 7th thoracic vertebra.
- Expands chest and diaphragm (cough, asthma, chest congestion).
- Transforms damp heat (Damp heat in Liver and Gall Bladder).
- Regulates Qi.
- Zhiyang is a major point for jaundice, distension and fullness in chest and hypochondriac region.
- Also good for cough, asthma.
- Local disorders: Stiffness of the spine, pain in the back, lumbago.
Puncture obliquely upward 0.5 – 1 cun.
Deep insertion should be avoided. The spinal canal lies between 1.25 and 1.75 cun deep to the skin surface, varying according to body build.